Sunday, June 29, 2008

What's In A Middle Name?

So apparently some Obama supporters are adopting his middle name, 'Hussein' out of solidarity with him. Some give reasons that make sense to me- Republicans have been throwing the word 'Hussein' around with the unspoken implication that Obama is a Muslim fifth columnist who's going to hand the country over to the terrorists. That, in turn, fuels the rumors that Obama is a Muslim and promotes the nonsense that disguises what's important in this election.

That said: my initial reaction is that its kind of well, creepy. I know in the primaries a lot of people were turned off by the almost messianic rhetoric that some Obama supporters would spread. I liked Obama, I agreed with Obama, but I didn't think he was the second coming or the best thing since sliced bread. The whole 'taking his name' thing seems a little obsessive to me. I'll vote for him, but I like my middle name just fine thank you very much.

Plus, this could be spun in a very bad way. Given the propensity of people to buy into whatever rumors are floating around out there, who knows what some nutheads are going to assume.

No comments: