Sunday, June 15, 2008

There's Not Much Happening Here

So apparently M. Night Shyamalan's new movie The Happening sucks. Like, realllllllly sucks- so much so that I'm not going to bother spending any money to go and see it- I might, maybe, spend a dollar and get it at a Red Box when it comes out on DVD (which should be sometime next week, if there's any justice in the world.) But then again, after reading this review and this one as well, maybe I just won't even bother.

To be honest, I've never really been that impressed with M. Night Shyamalan. Someone spoiled The Sixth Sense for me, so I've never bothered watching that (it seems like watching The Crying Game after someone spoils that for you. You know what's coming, so the surprise is gone.) I thought Signs was pretty freaky in the theaters, but didn't hold up well with a second viewing. Lady In The Water was convuluted and strange with things like narfs and warbles and guys finding messages in crosswords (not to mention the appearance of M. Night himself as 'the author who will change the world.' Ego much?)

And now, we have The Happening. Where the enemy is... I feel like I shouldn't spoil it, but if reports are to be believed, it's just too hysterically bad not to share. Yes, the enemy is... the trees. Apparently, this whole paper-making thing has pissed them off and they're coming for us. So watch out.

(Yes, I guess it really is the trees. I can't make this stuff up.)

But anyway, if you're looking for a movie to watch and someone suggests The Happening, just be warned.

No comments: