Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Is Ventura In?

Next Tuesday is the filing deadline and he keeps tap-dancing around the issue. I can't say that I'm totally wild about Jesse Ventura. The guy just can't take criticism all that well from the press, but I totally dug the fact that out of nowhere, in 1998, a Third Party Candidate won the Governorship of Minnesota. This guy has something and he could provide a spark to a race that's pretty much a foregone conclusion in my mind by now. Let's look at it:

1. Al Franken sucks. He's damaged goods and something of a carpetbagger to boot. The DFL blew a HUGE opportunity here to take out Coleman. Al Franken can't do it- or maybe he can, but I'm not a believer, Al. You gotta make me believe and so far, I am unimpressed.

2. Norm Coleman is (or was until Franken got the nod) vulnerable: Listening to the Convention Coverage of the Republican State Convention (back in early June) on MPR it was surprising what an undercurrent of distaste there was amongst convention-goers (well, one anyway) for Coleman. He used to support the President when Bush was popular, now, not so much. Strikes me as a guy who changes position whenever the wind blows and whenever he needs to cover his own ass. A guy we could use less of.

Ventura could do this. I hope he runs. I'd vote for him.

Officially: no decision yet. He's not making up his mind until next Tuesday.

No comments: