Friday, July 11, 2008

1st Marriage

From the LA Times, here's the skinny on McCain's first marriage. I'm not at all certain why any of this is relevant except to reveal that he kind of treated his first wife like crap and is pissed Nancy Reagen off mightily. The 'deal' (or what I assume they're trying to say is the 'big deal') is this:
"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley

I'm not entirely sure how the first quote and the following graph differ at all. I'm assuming one be separated and not divorced and still live together. That seems to be what happened- and the divorce wasn't finalized until February of 1980. It all seems to match up to me. He and wife #1 separated, he moved out in January, got divorced in February. Everyone thought he was kind of a douche about things shortly thereafter.

What's kind of interesting is that Cindy McCain was 24 and he was 42 when they started dating. Pretty large gap there. And I don't know... old guy with semi-decent position in Navy chases around college-aged co-ed. A blonde one. Could John McCain be any more clichéd?

In the end: like I said, I'm not sure how any of this is relevant. After all, Nancy Reagen was in fact Mrs. Reagen number 2 when Ronnie moved into the White House. So who cares if Cindy McCain is Mrs. McCain number 2? Who cares about his messy divorce? All it does is make him seem like kind of a dick, but there's been mounting evidence that he can be kind of a dick for awhile now.

No comments: