Sunday, December 7, 2008

Psycho-Somatic?

President Elect Obama has a big, huge plan to help the economy. He's also said that 'its going to get worse before it gets better.'

I'm tired of hearing that. So much of economics is apparently based on credit and how traders are feeling on every given day of the week. There's a psychological component to it that's hard to ignore. How, I have to wonder, is telling people 'IT'S GOING TO GET WORSE' going to help people believe that it can (or will) get better?

Phil Gramm got into trouble for saying that we were 'in a mental recession' and we were 'a nation of whiners.' I don't think we have to be quite that extreme in our assessments, but still I have to ask: do we want to encourage a psycho-somatic recession? If we think it's going to get worse, will it?

Again, my short coming is in the field of economics. I simply don't know enough about it- but this is what I think: we're spoiled. We've gone through the 90s and the post-September the 11th recession- and we've thought that was bad. But how long has it been since a real, honest-to-God, hard times type of a recession has hit us?

It's been awhile. I think everyone needs to take a breath and take a few deep knee bends. We've gotten through recessions like this before, we can do it again. We need a combination of truth-telling from our leaders. (Good start to the President-Elect) and responsibility from the television pundits. (Enough predicting depressions!)

But what do I know? Not enough about economics, that's for sure.

No comments: