Sunday, December 7, 2008

Another Senator Kennedy?

With Hillary Clinton heading to Washington to be the new Secretary of State, this leaves a Senate seat to be filled in New York. There's the usual mindless speculation afloat (Bill Clinton) but in recent days, Caroline Kennedy has emerged as a potential candidate as well.

I have to admit, I've never really understood the whole Kennedy thing. I think I'm way too young- they just all seemed like relics of a bygone age to me. That said, of what I know of the Kennedys, Caroline Kennedy to me probably seems to be the least objectionable one of the bunch. She doesn't, I believe, have a very deep resume when it comes to politics, but she has been in the public eye and wrote some interesting books on valuable topics.

She would not, at all, be a bad choice. I think if I have one objection, it's the continuing influence of families in American politics. I think trading a Clinton for a Kennedy might leave a bad taste in people's mouth.

No comments: