Monday, December 8, 2008

Budget Cuts

The announcement from Saint Paul about a week or so ago at the gloomy budget prospects has filtered down to Mankato already. The School District is already starting the process of trying to figure out budget cuts.

I'm not sure about the idea of moving classes to a 40-50 student range and doing 'lecture-style' classes à la college lectures though. High School students are pretty squirrely at the best of times- I think if you're going to do that, maybe look at the possibilities of moving to a block schedule type of thing and seeing what savings you get out of that. (I actually was asked to judge some student presentations about ways to improve West and one of them suggested precisely that. Maybe they should pitch it to the board.)

Either way, it's a sensible move to start early- these things are usually tough- and I'm just glad that God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be safely into another job before the beancounters start looking at my job.

No comments: