Thursday, December 4, 2008

1991

The Survivor of the 1991 Campus shooting at the University of Iowa has died.

I was in Third Grade when it happened, I remember that much- and it was always, I think at the back of my mind more or less. Every early November, if you knew where to look, there would always be a wreath outside Van Allen Hall- the majority of people just walked on by, not realizing what it was there for- but people still remembered. I think, when it comes to things like tragedies and shootings- people tend to be horrified at the images on their television screens and then pushing it away thinking, 'It can't happen here.' But I think if the events of 1991 impressed anything on me, it's that things like that can happen anywhere.

There are quiet signs of the shootings on the UI Campus, even today- like I said, every year, there'd be that wreath. There's a Memorial Walkway between Calvin and Pappajohn that most people just walk by. It's not noticeable to many, I think, unless you know why it's there and what's its there for. If you know that, then occasionally, you look at that wreath or that walkway a little differently. You remember what affected the community.

That day, I remember one of the neighbor kids being upset because her Mom worked in Van Allen. I didn't quite understand why until later- and I think I looked at Van Allen a little differently- a quiet voice inside my head reminding me that people had died there. A tragedy had occured there. Maybe it was subconscious, but in five years on campus, I don't think I ever went into Van Allen more than five times. Then again, maybe I just didn't have a good reason too.

The community remembers, but it is a credit, I think, to Miya Rodolfo-Sioson was that, despite being paralyzed from the neck down as a result of the shootings, she was a tireless advocate for the disabled in California, where she lost her battle with breast cancer yesterday.

No comments: